9.03.2007

Whatcha reading/watching? Gab gab gab

What's on your bed stand? Okay, I don't need the gory details... I mean books! Also, what movies or shows have you guys been watching on DVD or actual TV, or seen in theaters recently?

Moi? *bats eyelashes* I haven't had too much time for leisure reading, and when I do, I go in mad spurts. As I commented in rj's review of Inferno (spoilers!), I came to a screeching halt with any more forward reading of the EU, since I couldn't take any major characters from the OT dying off. I have I, Jedi bookmarked about 1/4 through after having started reading it a year or so ago, putting it down, then picking it back up again and starting from the beginning again about a month ago. I'm also flipping through Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces again. LOL, other than that, I'm reading through Kaplan's GRE study guide *vomits*

I just finished watching Inagaki's Musashi trilogy on DVD. Had the first one on video, but never got to see the rest until now. Love the old samurai flicks, and I love the myth of Myamoto Musashi. These films are very spaghetti western and melodramatic, but Toshiro Mifune is a joy to watch in this, and the two female leads played by Kaoru Yachigusa and Mariko Okada are outstanding! I have the Mushashi novel by Eiji Yoshikawa, and that's prolly going to be the next big read I start.

Also just finished watching everything of the new Battlestar Galactica on DVD so far again (seasons 1 through 2.5) just in time to catch the next round of season 3 reruns on the Sci Fi channel starting later this month. Yeay. I think a lot of you know whatta BSG geek I am :) Alas, it's looking once again as though the season 3 DVDs won't come out until just before season 4 starts in January :(

Not much else... picked up the Dune Extended edition the other day. I'll probably watch that again one of these days soon. Otherwise - anybody planning for Halloween yet? Some costume ideas below, or click here to watch with music :D.

14 comments:

Airyoda said...

Reading: As you know, just finished Inferno. Now reading the novelization of the Daredevil movie (my dad gave it to me for some odd reason) and then I'll be reading the original Shannara trilogy.

Watching: One episode left in BSG season 2.5. Two episodes (and Serenity) left in Firefly. Season 1 of the original Star Trek series.

So much goodness!

nob01 said...

Reading The Cestus Deception at the moment and really enjoying it - I guess I'm a sucker for Clone novels - LOL.

Aye carumba RJ - The Shannara Trilogy! That takes me back... I read that around the same time as the Many Colored Land series and Lord Valentine's Castle series - happy days :-)

Also reading a book called Skin Flicks, which isn't about people's rude and dangly bits, but an essay on the psychological monsters of the horror genre - I've just finished my newest script, and it's a horrific doozy - tee hee.

Sarlacc-Pitt said...

Watched the OOT today.. my own little Labor Day marathon, and currently reading the new Insider. That's about all the reading I do.. for shame!

There are so many movies I need to catch up on! :|

Interesting stuff in this post.. did your love of SW lead you to these samurai films beacause of the influences?

Very funny YTMND, as always!

nob01 said...

By the way - any Mifune fan is alright by me.

amidalooine said...

I feel fairly illiterate and terribly poorly read. Sigh. I have been reading the same book for about..oh...well, put it this way...I left my copy of The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon in Stooge's daughter's room when I left there in May...

I actually DID buy another copy, intent on reading at the beach in July, but I forgot that when you have kids, there's no such thing as peacefully reading at the beach. I read about 20 pages.

So that's what's on my bed stand...

As for movies...with the big kids around, we've been watching fun things like "Accepted" (FUNNY freaking movie!), chick flicks like Sweet Home Alabama, and Val and I watched Chicago the other night.

Methinks I need to get a life!!!! :D

starthunder said...

umm... ami? i think you have too much life LOL. which is why you don't have much time for leisure reading. i know we've talked about this before ami, but i forgot - have you watch life as a house? guaranteed tears :)

pitt - my love for samurai flicks is a little related to SW of course, but first it kind of came from my parents, who have always been film connoisseurs, especially all things foreign. i grew up watching bergman, kurosawa, renoir, godard, and others while most other kids my age were watching disney movies :p then there's the martial arts thing, which i'm into, and that brought me back to samurai flicks (and other asian cinema) along with SW.

really want to pick back up on my SW reading again too. cestus deception is in my line up.

i forgot... i've also been rewatching some very old school anime on veoh.com (shhhhhhh) - star blazers/ space battleship yamato.

starthunder said...

ooh - i wanna watch the OOT again too :D

and i want to hear/read more about your new script nob!

Wifey said...

Me? HA!

I am a single mom of 2 delightful children.

Read? What's that?

Harry Potter 7 is on my nightstand, along with a book that I have been reading for about 2 years now (Stephen King's Insomnia).

On my to be watched list?
OT
PT
Godfather 2 & 3
Ah... the list goes on and on.

Life is good!

YZF said...

Gawds, this is so cliche... I'm reading a GL biography right now.

And I also just picked up the "Visionaries" graphic novel, which was, um, different.

Target was selling Ghostbusters, and its sequel, for ten bucks total, so I picked those up. So far, I've only watched one of the animated episodes that came on the G2 disc... but it was a great episode of the cartoon (which I was a big fan of back in the 80's), written by one of my favorite writers, J. Michael Straczynski. Other than that, I am dead set on catching the "Legacy Revealed" rerun tomorrow night. (I hope they're not too late to snag all the Emmy voters...)

Hansgirl3 said...

I finished I, Jedi just last week! And I also read Inferno last week (took me all of 2 days LOL). Now I'm reading Survivor's Quest. Great book so far!

I've been watching Harry Potter movies and Finding Nemo.

I can't wait for the Season 3 reruns of BSG! I missed the first 7 or so as they aired. :p

starthunder said...

Man, I have no excuse then, because I know hansgirl is prolly as busy!

you saw this BSG rerun update, right hansgirl?

Visionaries is... very interesting Stooge. I agree. ;) and which GL bio ya reading?

lol ghostbusters!!

Darth_Hiram said...

I'm reading Inferno right now ... so avoiding all the spoilers! Also have going The Swarm War from the Dark Nest Trilogy as well.
Lotso movies to catch up on ... just watched Blades of Glory which is very funny ... gotta say I'm a big Will Ferrel fan!

Sarlacc-Pitt said...

pitt - my love for samurai flicks is a little related to SW of course, but first it kind of came from my parents,

Very interesting and very cool!

gotta say I'm a big Will Ferrel fan!

Me too, D_H!

Love me some Ghostbusters. "This chick is toast!" LOL

Lisa S. said...

Yo!

This summer, I read all of Lord of the Rings, and now I'm just working on the appendecies. (Nerd Alert!!!) I don't know what's next on the reading list, but right now we're working our way through all 10 seasons of Friends on DVD. We're not 2 discs into Season 5.

HOT GIRL!! HOT GIRL!!!!